Welcome to the Ecology lab at the University of Konstanz
We do basic and applied research in plant ecology. Our research is guided by the basic questions of how phenotypic variation in functional traits is shaped by environmental and genetic variation, and how these traits and environmental factors determine the decline and spread of species. To answer these questions, we use a broad range of methods including data-base studies, meta-analysis of published studies, and experimental studies in the greenhouse, garden and field. We teach courses in general ecology and plant ecology.
News +++ News +++ News +++ News +++ News
- 28 October 2016: Razanajatovo et al. on "Plants capable of selfing are more likely to become naturalized" will appear online today in Nature Communications. For a press release text, click here.
- 4 October 2016: Zhijie Zhang has joined our lab as a PhD student.
- 21 September 2016: The GloNAF project website (https://glonaf.org/) has been launched.
- 16 August 2016: Maurel et al. on "Introduction bias affects relationships between characteristics and naturalization success of ornamental alien plants" got accepted in Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- 26 July 2016: Dullinger et al. on "Climate change will increase naturalization risk from garden plants in Europe" is in press for Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- 15 July 2016: Ning et al. on "Allelopathy of a native grassland community as a potential mechanism of resistance against invasion by introduced plants" got accepted for publication in Biological Invasions.
- 14 July 2016: We congratulate Yan and Yanjie with the birth of Qiran.
- 6 July 2016: Li et al. on "Latitudinal and longitudinal clines of phenotypic plasticity in the invasive herb Solidago canadensis in China" got accepted for publication in Oecologia.
- 5 July 2016: Liu et al. on "Does greater specific-leaf-area plasticity help plants to maintain a high performance when shaded?" got accepted for publication in Annals of Botany.
- 5 July 2016: Feng et al. on "Introduction history, climatic suitability, native range size, species traits and their interactions explain establishment of Chinese woody species in Europe" got accepted for publication in Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- 1 July 2016: The GloNAF database got highlighted in the Infoporn section of the April issue of Wired Magazine.
- 27 June 2016: A special issue resulting from the EMAPI 2015 meeting in Hawaii has been published in Neobiota.
- 9 May 2016: Sasha Kosanic has joined our lab as a postdoc funded by a bridging fellowship of the university's Zukunftskolleg.
- 3 May 2016: Müller et al. on "Alien and native plant establishment in grassland communities is more strongly affected by disturbance than above- and below-ground enemies" is in press in Journal of Ecology.
- 22 April 2016: The Südkurier reports on Katharina's results of the Klibikom project.
- 12 April 2016: Sedlacek et al. on "Evolutionary potential in the Alpine: trait heritabilities and performance variation of the dwarf willow Salix herbacea from different elevations and microhabitats" is in press in Ecology and Evolution.
- 28 March 2016: Mark has 3 accepted papers in a row in Journal of Ecology.
- 8 March 2016: Feng & van Kleunen on "Phylogenetic and functional mechanisms of direct and indirect interactions among alien and native plants" has been accepted by Journal of Ecology.
- 8 March 2016: Wheeler et al. on "The snow and the willows: Earlier spring snowmelt reduces performance in the low-lying alpine shrub Salix herbacea" has been accepted by Journal of Ecology.
- 1 March 2016: McCormack et al. on "Key impacts of climate engineering on biodiversity and ecosystems, with priorities for future research" is in press now in Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences.
- 16 February 2016: Oduor et al. on "Invasive plant species are locally adapted just as frequently and at least as strongly as native plant species" is now in press in Journal of Ecology.
- 12 February 2016: Mialy Razanajatovo successfully defended her PhD thesis. Congratulations Mialy!
- 5 January 2016: Razanajatovo & van Kleunen on "Non-invasive naturalized alien plants were not more pollen limited than invasive aliens and natives in a common garden" got accepted for publication in Functional Ecology.
- 1 January 2016: Wayne Dawson has left us for Durham. Good luck!
- 23 December 2015: Müller et al. on "Commonness and rarity of alien and native plant species - The roles of intraspecific competition and plant-soil feedback" got accepted for publication in Oikos.